We offer two internships. One is 6 months long and runs April 3- September 29. The other is 3 months long and runs June 5-September 1. Otherwise, the internships are the same. If you are a couple and would both like to work on the farm, please let us know somewhere on the application, and we will consider creating two internships of equal duration.
Your internship will provide you the opportunity to learn about most of the aspects of small to medium scale organic farming in this region. You will have a variety of tasks, including: seeding, transplanting, weeding and plant maintenance, harvesting, variety evaluation, and animal care. Your work will help the farm complete its tasks and in doing so you will also be learning how to farm. The extent of what you learn will in large part depend on you. If you do your work well and you work hard and efficiently, you will be given a larger variety of tasks and thus understand more of the larger picture and inter-workings of the farm. We encourage interns to ask questions and to reflect on their work.
- Interns will work 8:00am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday, with a 30 minute lunch break (40 hours/week). Saturday will be our make-up day for extreme weather. Any appointment or vacation must be pre-approved, and you cannot miss Tuesdays or Fridays, which are our harvest days. If you work late one day to finish a project, you may leave early the following day, equivalent to the extra time you worked the previous day.
- You will receive a monthly stipend of $1500, to be paid in two payments of $750 on the 15th and 30th/31st (last day) of the month.
- We do not allow the use of phones or other electronic devices except to make necessary phone calls. You may use them during your lunch break.
- There is no smoking or drinking (alcohol) on the farm. If you smoke at home, you must wear clean clothes and wash your hands prior to working to prevent the spread of Tobacco Mosaic Virus. If you come to work smelling of cigarettes, marijuana, alcohol (etc.), you will be sent home and will have to make up the work missed on the first occasion. If it happens a second time, you will be dismissed, and paid only through the last day worked.
- You must have proper work attire and arrive ready to work. Work begins at 8 am, so please have work clothes and shoes on as well as sunscreen, etc. by this time.
- We will have a “work review” every Monday morning to discuss work that was completed the previous week and work that needs to be completed this week. This is a good time for you to express your thoughts and opinions about your internship as well as to ask any questions you have.
- We expect you to be respectful, of yourself, of our family, of our farm, of our CSA members, and of any farm visitors.
- We do not currently have on-farm housing, although it is something we are working toward. You must also provide your own lunch, snacks, etc.
- If you are unable to complete internship for whatever reason, we ask that you give us two weeks notice.
- People who complete their internship successfully may be eligible for more permanent employment.
For an application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (865)978-0561.
Para informacion en Espanol, por favor llamenos a (865)255-4117.