This week, Megan has said our boxes will include:
- onions, sweet
- peppers, green
- peppers, hot
- summer squash
Ideas for Food Prep:
- Wash the lettuce to use for salads, so it’s ready to go.
- Think about pre-chopping your onions. It’s nice to have them already done and ready to go. Or go ahead and caramelize a bunch of them for sandwich and pizza toppings.
- Have salad dressings (homemade or bought) on hand
- Slice up your cucumbers & carrots for snacks.
- I just discovered this and it works! Most of the cucumbers I’ve gotten have been wonderfully non-bitter, but a couple were too bitter. I tried this trick and it worked. For real. Supposedly, it’s a method that they often use in India. Hack your cucumber!
- Megan’s tip on the melon: “They may be stored on the counter until sutures/lines on rind begin to turn a light yellow/green. Then, they need to be eaten or cut up (without rind) and stored in an airtight container in the fridge”.
Here are some recipes to try!
Penne with Blue Cheese, Beans, Tomatoes, and Olives (veg gf)
Stir-fried Green Beans with Coconut (veg gf v)
3-Ingredient Lemony Green Beans with Frizzled Leeks (veg gf v)
Corn pudding (veg gf)
Spinach and Cheese Ravioli with Zucchini, Corn, and Tomatoes (veg)
Fresh Corn Johnnycakes (veg gf v)
Watermelon, Lychee, Feta, and Basil Salad With Spicy Lemongrass Vinaigrette (veg gf)
Watermelon Lemonade (veg gf v)
Summer Watermelon Salad with Cucumber (veg gf)
Tri-Tomato Salad (veg gf v)
Mediterranean Chopped Salad With Tomatoes, Peppers, Feta, and Basil (veg)
Stuffed Green Peppers (gf)
Carrot and Zucchini Bars with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (veg)
Cheesy Zucchini Rice (veg gf)
Zucchini and Carrot Fritters With Yogurt-Mint Dip (veg) – I made these, and we all loved them.
Have a wonderful week everyone!
gf: gluten free
Please read! If a recipe can very easily be made vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free using simple substitutes like non-dairy spread, vegetable stock, gluten free pasta, gluten free soy sauce or a small amount of gluten free flour, or by leaving out an ingredient, I’ve coded them with that in mind. If they include things like mayonnaise, eggs, milk, honey or large quantities of flour, I haven’t coded them as such. I don’t have experience using things like egg substitute, non-dairy cheese or subbing in gluten-free flours. Please double check the ingredients for your own safety!